Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cricketer me

In my blog article - A compilation of regrets - I wrote about how I pictured myself as being someone other than who I am. I quit playing cricket in high school, disheartened by how hard work and discipline was not rewarded by my coach, thus realizing that my mom's words about sports not being the thing for our family.

Yet, my love for the game meant I tried to keep playing some form of the game or the other. In what was completely unforeseen by me (when I quit in school) I got a chance to play professional/club cricket here in the US. I played for Chicago Giants in 2009 and then Cricket Club of Illinois (CCI) in 2010, 2011 and 2012 - in 2012 as a captain of the team!

I always wondered how I look when I play. Not that I am a great or even a good player. (I am, now, beginning to get rid of the rust around my game. Every practice effort I put in gives me more confidence.) Yet the curiosity of how I look when I play shots, or when I take my stance, or when I run , or simply standing at the pitch with my head under a helmet appealed to me.

Finally, that fire was doused when Brian Stauffer photographed our match against Springfield Cricket Club. He took a  few hundred pictures, surely! He was nice to send me 2 of my photographs taken from the boundary. And here is what I look like...

He also captured a shot when I got hit on my back. I was trying to let the ball go down the leg side for a wide but it was closer than I expected and the ball was also quicker.

No comments: